Tuesday, March 13, 2012

it's a Chili kinda day.

I cant believe I have never posted my Turkey Chili recipe.....
it is a staple here at the homestead.
With the windy, chill in the air... and the scattered snow showers (that never stick!)..... today is the day for a crock pot full of chili.

~1 1/2 of dry beans (I mix them up~ kidney, pinto, black) and soak over night.
in the early morning I fill a pot with water and bring to a boil. Pour the drained beans in, add a bit of garlic, onion and salt... and boil for 15 minutes.  Lower heat to a simmer- and slow cook until beans are soft (about 2 hours)
~ cook up a 1/2 pound of ground turkey, onion, green pepper and garlic in a skillet (set aside)
~ once beans are done:: add meat mixture, and beans to a crock pot.  Pour in some chopped tomatoes (fresh or POMI ) You can then add in whatever veggies makes your chili pot sing.  Today we saute'd  some chopped sweet potato, green chili, corn and zucchini.  For a little seasoning I add 1 Tbs. chili powder, 1/2 tsp red chili peppers, 1/2 Tbs. garlic powder,1/2 Tbs. cumin, a pinch of pepper and allspice.  set the crock pot on low (for 6 hours) High (for 4 hours) and serve up at dinner time.

MMMM...MMMMM.... GOOD!


oh yea... by the way.... stay tuned because I have a giveaway coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment