Saturday, November 10, 2012

sweet seeds



I have never really made a good roasted pumpkin seed.... but I try every year.
I always think... maybe with more salt... they would be better.
Well, This year's RACHEL RAY MAGAZINE... told me how to really do it, and do it well!

The key:: boil the seeds in salt water before roasting.
(this is the step I never thought about)
but this year,
I did it... and these babies are now resting in a bowl in the kitchen.... disappearing quickly!

Rachel Ray's recipe ( page 129 in October 2012)
preheat oven to 375 degrees.

1 cup of raw seeds (cleaned)
1 Tbs. sea salt
4 cups of water
:: bring these three ingredients to a boil in a sauce pan, and then simmer for 10 minutes, then drain.  Pat the seeds dry.
Toss the seeds with olive oil and 1 tsp. salt. spread in a single layer on a foil-lined, greased baking sheet.
Roast for 10 minutes.
Toss with seasoning and roast for another 5 minutes.
(now she has 5 ways to season up these babies) but I went with the sweet version.

SWEET SEASONING
2 1/2 Tbs. sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg.

No comments:

Post a Comment