Friday, March 13, 2009

dig dig dig away!

Odin, for Christmas, was given this fossil dig kit- and the other day we took it out and began to search for fossils. This search was the sure way to keep a busy boy- busy. He dug, and brushed, dug and brushed.... showing great excitement with each new find. What a great idea.


so I began to wonder- how could I make this myself.
::things you need::
find a bowl, or container (that is easily unmoldable)
a fine sand, some Elmer's glue, and little treasures (jewels, rocks, or just some beads or buttons)

::thing to do::
mix the sand and glue until it is a paste-like consistency, press into the bowl, take a few "treasures" and stuff into the center and sides of the sand- and let dry.... for a few days ( or if the weather is chilly and wet- a week!) To dig and sweep you can use old paint brushed and a chopstick (or wooden cuticle shaper).
Have a diggin' fun time.

1 comment:

  1. Tif - you are a genius!!! Thanks for sharing. We have now bought Spencer two of these sets, one at Christmas and one for his birthday. Both times it was the first thing he did. He loves digging for treasures and I was wondering how I could make this myself, but never got that far with it. I will definitely find some neat things to bury for him and will make this soon. Thanks so much!!! I'll let you know what he thinks of it when I do it, and I'll tell him it was one of my "BL Friends" that gave me the idea. He still remembers me blogging to all of you. I would often give him updates on everyone so he didn't feel left out when I was on the computer!

    ReplyDelete