Friday, August 27, 2010

oh for the love of.....

dark chocolate cupcakes with caramel and sea salt frosting.

yep! my sweet tooth has won again.... and with no fail, another wonderful cupcake was created.
I have always loved the flavors of chocolate and caramel, but the past two years the added sea salt has been a mature experience for my palette. LOVE!
for the cupcake recipe I followed this one.
which is originally from Cook's Illustrated (march 2005)
but the frosting I make my own.

Caramel Frosting
8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Place the butter and brown sugars in a heavy medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until the mixture comes to a boil, about 2 minutes. Add the milk, stir, and let the mixture return to a boil, then remove the pan from the heat. Add about 11/4 cups of the confectioners’ sugar and the vanilla. Beat with a wooden spoon or whisk until the frosting is smooth. Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar, but not so much so that it thickens and hardens. Spoon a heaping tablespoon of frosting on top of each cupcake and spread it out with a short metal spatula or spoon.


then the added treat~ Sprinkle with some coarse sea salt and some dark chocolate shavings.

ENJOY!

3 comments:

  1. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! These look yummy. Totally going to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, LOVE this combination! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You shared and now I must make them for myself (well, I may have to share with Josh- but definitely not the kids!). How long will it take me...well, chocolate can motivate me.

    ReplyDelete