Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Coco Powder





today's great story brought to you from my most recent FACEBOOK post.


I love walking with B to school.... we have the most curious conversations. Today's topic~ Living in Coco Powder.
"mom, when we go camping we should go to a beach made of coco powder... then I will shrink down tiny and play in it, and smell super good, and sneeze all the time. And then someone will make gluten free brownies out of me and I will taste delicious as I slide down to your belly like a water slide" ( said as if it were one sentence).
1. Is this even a thought that has ever crossed anyone's mind before?
2. Always bring a water slide into the conversation.
3. Coco powder?
4. I have no idea what your dreams are like, but if I could just be in your mind for one of them... it would be the best night ever!
I told you, we have the most curious conversations.

MY DEEP THOUGHTS:
I dont ever want to scare him into thinking he is different.... or stifle his creativity... quiet him into a corner... or command that he needs to put my ideas of what should be into his everyday.

A child with autism thinks differently, sees everything differently, feels differently.... making them unique in so many ways.  I find great joy in how he lives life.... yes it is recklessly, wholeheartedly, and sometimes not proper or polite.  Yes it is loud, it is dramatic, it is unpredictable..... One of the things I value the most is how he does see life.... and how great it can be.

I am not saying "dont parent your autistic child, but what I am saying is reach deeper into your little guy and revel in his moments, enjoy them, and see them the way he sees them.  Yes, we do ALL SORTS of therapy. ALL SORTS of doctors and treatments.... but I have to say......The more I spend in moments with him, like truly WITH him.... The more I understand.  
Fortunately, it is me that changes... not him.
And I am so so SO much better for it.



No comments:

Post a Comment