Thursday, October 30, 2014

Pumpkin Patching

I can't believe it is fall.
There is not a crisp in the air.
There is not the promise of rain... anytime soon.
My jackets and scarves are still packed away.
And my body is still sweating.... a lot!
It has taken me a while to get into the swing of Autumn.  The harvest and Halloween decorations just can out a week ago.  I just don't feel ready.  But... ready or not.... it is pumpkin season.... and a pumpkin hunting we must go!

In Oregon one goes to a farm that has pumpkins growing. most likely there is a tractor pull hay ride... Sometimes there is a corn maze... your lucky if there is a petting zoo or horse ride.  Here in California, the findings of a pumpkin are usually in  a bounce house filled parking lot with bright lights, hay bales, and lots of, well, pre-picked pumpkins.  Since moving here I was not ready to experience this type of Pumpkin Patch.... I just couldn't.  I searched and searched for a pumpkin patch in the area.  I found one about 40 minutes away, down a winding road, and in the hills.
The place is called Bates Nut Farm.
OH GOODNESS!  I wasn't the only one who thought going here was a good idea.  The place was packed~ I should have known a Saturday before Halloween would be a high draw of people.   Even among the people.... we had a blast.  There were animals everywhere.... and the kids loved the Hay Maze.  The boys picked out a pumpkin and we walked around the grounds a little.  It was one of our first outings together as a family that combined a tradition we had in Oregon, and were able to be continued here in California.
Happy Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment