Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Cheery Cherry Pitting

I have to say, "I did it!"
and I know you are saying "what tif, what did you do?"
As you know, I have a handful of blogs that I love to read- daily... and these ladies are always posting about great things- things that I also do, I want to do, and also wonder where do they get all the time.... with my simplification of life and our sustainability, I sometimes see things that they post about and think "great idea, super cute, but- I dont need it" and I love that freedom to feel like I DONT NEED IT.
except for this one time.....
and this blog post.

NOW,
I know, cherries are in season for a month here, and there is nothing wrong with pitting cherries with a knife and thumbs- but I couldnt help it.....
this cherry pitter is SO SO SO cute, and SO SO SO much easier to use. The best thing is that it got my kids involved. Since this great thing entered our house I have not had to pit a cherry, yet! I think I like this new tool, that now has a name "Charley Chomper", and has become the newest member to my kitchen trinkets...
May our Charley always be "cherry-ful"!

to go with this post, good friends of mine have a sour cherry tree with a bountiful of wonderful sour cherries.... sour cherries are the best for cherry pie. The BEST!


Everyone has a pie crust recipe that works for them, so make enough for a double crust.
and here is my great filling recipe.

Cherry Pie Filling
4 (about) cups pitted fresh cherries
4 TB cornstarch
¾ +/- cup sugar (all on how sweet you want your pie)
1/4 ts salt
1 TB of lemon juice (you may need to add more if the flavor is more tart than you like)
1/4 ts almond extract
1 TB cold unsalted butter, cut into small bits

1 egg, beaten (I used heavy cream instead of an egg- I just like it better)
Coarse sugar, for dusting top of unbaked pie (most important part)

Preheat oven to 400°F.
Stir together the cherries, cornstarch, sugar, salt, lemon and almond extract gently together in a large bowl.

Spoon filling into pie crust (your favorite recipe for a Double Layer), discarding the majority of the liquid that has pooled in the bowl. Dot the filling with the bits of cold butter.
Roll out the remaining dough into a 12-inch round on a lightly floured surface, drape it over the filling, and trim it, leaving a 1-inch overhang.
Fold the overhang under the bottom crust, pressing the edge to seal it, and crimp the edge decoratively. Brush the egg wash over the pie crust, then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
Cut slits in the crust with a sharp knife, forming steam vents, and bake the pie in the middle of the oven for 25 minutes. (I made a star in the middle). Then reduce the oven temp to 350°F and finish baking the pie for 25 to 30 minutes more, or until the crust is golden. Once cooked remove from oven and let this baby cool for a good 2 - 3 of hours before slicing into it.


No comments:

Post a Comment